What is the difference between NFS and NIS Discussion about all type of Linux Server Management.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ABIHU

What is the difference between NFS and NIS

by ABIHU » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:53 pm

Can someone tell me what is the difference between NFS and NIS?
In which scenario I can use both of them or individually ?

Rony

Re: What is the difference between NFS and NIS

by Rony » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:39 pm

Hi,

Network File System (NFS) has a reputation for being difficult to set up and install. The truth is that NFS is quite easy to implement on Linux systems, and if your machine is one of a few Linux systems on a local area network (LAN), NFS can give you enormous flexibility.
This chapter explains the benefits of NFS, and how you can set up your system to act as both a client and server for other machines on your LAN. If you are running as a stand-alone Linux machine, NFS will be of no value (other than academic) to you, but if you are part of a LAN (whether composed of PC, Mac, UNIX, or Linux machines doesn't matter), you should at least find out what NFS has to offer.
The second part of this chapter looks at the Network Information Service (NIS), an early version of which was previously called Yellow Pages, and how it works over a network. Although you probably will not need NIS unless you are part of a very large network, you can see how the system works. The chapter also looks at some system administration tools for managing NFS (Network File System), NIS (Network Information Service), and RPC (Remote Procedure Call).
Thanks,
Rony K,
[Oracle DBA 10g]

Tylerdrona

What is the difference between NFS and NIS

by Tylerdrona » Sat May 23, 2020 12:12 am

A few mates of mine use Gentoo and love it. Seems to be quite a good distro. Has a bastardised FreeBSD Ports system called portage which is cool. Give it a go.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1